Friday, December 9, 2011

What's in a name?

"Hey, where're you going?

Brad didn't really want to know. He didn't have his glasses so couldn't make out Steve getting changed.
He was trying to drag Steve and few other friends to the pub. It was beer o'clock!

"I'm about to train, dude!"
"Ah, you're going for a jog...?"
"No, hey, listen man! I've told you before I don't jog. I'm going for a run. I'm a runner!"
"Jog, run...what's the difference?" Brad naively asks.
"There's a big difference, dude!"

Is there? Really?
Many years ago I read we all start as joggers and at some stage, when we enter a race, we become known as racers. And only when we see and experience running for what it is do we become true runners. At the time, I was a racer, one who competed against others and times. The last decade or so, I've morphed to become one of those types - a true runner.  Oh, I'm still competitive though, just not against others; my racing days are done.
Which are you?

Brad likes to ride regularly, as transport to and from his workplace. He likes to be known as a cyclist, not a 'rider'. Steve is into triathlons, yet never refers to himself or other tris as 'paddlers', 'riders' and 'joggers'.

Brad found his way to a pre-pub cafe; one that overlooked the park where Al and Steve would run. Brad and a mate decided to sit and wait for them... http://youtu.be/F0BfcdPKw8E

If you run, where are you going?

No comments:

Post a Comment