Monday, November 28, 2011

Why do you run?

I've been running for 30ish years.

Running has taken me many places and helped build many relationships.
It has brought me in touch with myself, the world around me, and in touch with many others.


I know people who have just started running, others who have been running for a long time; some who are serious about running, others who dabble; many who run fast, some who run faster, and a few who run fastest.

We run for different reasons. And, the reasons why we begin running aren't necessarily the reasons why we continue to run.


A while back I asked the athletes I coach - the in2running squad - to write down why they run. And then to summarise each reason into a word.


Here is why they run: 
adventure, nature, sanity, gratitude, balance, clarity, passion, fun, fitnessenjoyment, speed, journey, living, friendship, security, discovery, connection, healing, growth, freedom, release, catharsis, isolation, sanity, challenge,  test self, control,  health, focus,  escape,  play, immersion, happiness, time,  feeling,  aesthetics,   efficiency,  routine, community,  choice,  travel,  improve,  competition, well-being,  change, security,  camaraderie,  find,  means-to-an-end, purpose,  fear , inner-child,  endure-ance,  body,  identity, and confidence...
    
We could explore these and find similarities and commonalities, and themes, and contradictions and paradoxes, yet each runner's reason/s is their own. And theirs alone.

 That is the beauty of running: its accessibility, its individuality, its simplicity, its transference.

 Why do you run?    I've been running so long, I don't know how to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment